The ship was built for Kungliga Generalpoststyrelsen (the royal mail service) and was named to S/S Öland. For many years she trafficked the route between Kalmar and Färjestaden. Since she was custom made to be able to handle rough winters with heavy icing.
In 1958 she is sold to the Finnish shipping company Vasa-Umeå AB. They rebuild her as a car ferry and get renamed to Korsholm III. Until 1967 she traffics the route between Vasa and Umeå.
When Strömma buys her in 1998 she is ready for the scrap but todays she is carefully restored in art deco-style from 1930. On May 4th 2000 she is named to S/S Stockholm by His Majesty Carl XVI Gustaf at a grandiose ceremony by Stadshuskajen in Stockholm.